Pages

High class, low class /-/Vegan Humming bird breakfast pound cake




I am not sure if it just me but there ALWAYS is this dynamic between so called high class food, low class food and the viability of a recipe. On the web there some weird divide that if I recipe suggest a lower class brand instead of high class stuff ( Store bought baking chocolate verses French imported callebaut); bakers distrust the recipe. Now I cannot say that all things are like this but recently I came pass a comment on a blog that was sceptical of a recipe "workability" just because it had listed a brand of baking chips. 




We have all seen the cookies recipes on the back of the packet or the try me idea on the side of box cereal, however what is your attitude to them?

Do you think they will work or be a major flop? Would they taste good or be another waste of ingredients? Love to get your opinion!




I am going to stand up for these lower class ingredients for three reasons.

1. Yes I am not loaded. While I may try my best to purchase the best quality, not everyone has enough money to shell out for $50 dollar a kilo produce.

2. Sometimes! The lower class ingredient is actually what you want! I think about all those candy bar cakes and even stews from offal can be the best things on the food stuff list. Not everything has to cost the world in your baking.

3. Finally if you think the higher classed ingredients you purchase would mean you are less likely to fail in the kitchen, think again. Kitchen fails happen all the time and it is not down to your butter quality.



Now, now gent bakers and lady bakers I think we have forgotten the fundamentals of what actually make thing turn out right. This maybe an unpopular opinion but it is all about following a recipe to the T; that means grams (or in US Ounces). Sure the sweetness may need to be changed up depending on your taste but if you did what the recipe told you, in the correct measurements it should come out edible. It may not be best thing you could back but it essentially has all the basics. Really besides the recipes in the Bouchen Bakery book by Thomas Keller, most cake and cookie recipe have similar processes.

Sorry I just had to get this out, nothing like good rant to get through the week…



Now I am posting a very humble sweet bread recipe. This is my first vegan try at a bread/cake. Normally I would have butter and eggs totally at an arm’s reach but I have used them all after posting two celebration cakes and two customer orders outside this blog. Also I have been Inspired by Averie for Averie cooks. I am sure you know who I am taking about the Peanut butter queen of the food blog sphere. 

Anyway she posted a recipe for pumpkin vegan muffins a few weeks ago, so I was inspired to try one of my own. Using one of her pound cake recipes I decide to adapt it into a breakfast sweet loaf. This a roasted humming bird breakfast pound cake. Why breakfast you ask? Well it is because it has the left over Tropical granola I made in it to add that textural contrast and I made a whipped coconut/tofu spread. So lots of good whole grains, protein and fats to boot. Yes I am listing the healthy things to this cake but really what matters most me is that it tastes good.

Typical me right… Anyway Left over bananas? Give them a twist by roasting along side pineapple, the slight acidity helps it rise better (chemical baking here) and who is going to argue with a combination of pineapples, coconut and bananas for breakfast?


Humming bird breakfast pound cake
Adpated from many recipe on Averie cook's blog under Vegan tag


200g whole meal flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

5g cinnamon

3g nut meg

3g sat

10ml vanilla extract

50ml soy milk

2.5 tsp (15g) coconut milk powder

1 tsp apple vinegar

2 LSA eggs (linseed, Sunflower and almond mix), Mixing one tablespoon of LSA then mix with 3 tablespoon water. Whisk together and leave for 5 minutes.

110ml coconut oil melted

170g granola ( used left over from this tropical granola recipe)

Grilled/broiled Banana and pineapple mix * (instruction below)



Grilled/broiled Banana and pineapple mix*

On a baking tray, lined with baking paper, place 3 medium (about 300g uncooked) and 4 slices of can pineapple.

Preheat grill to high. Sprinkle 200g brown sugar on fruit.

Place under grill until well browned and caramelised.

Allow to cool then mash everything (syrup and all) in to a paste.





Pre Heat oven to 180C and line a large loaf tin (I used the one you can get from IKEA here) with oil and baking paper.

In a large bowl shift you flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nut meg and salt.

In another jug mix the vanilla extract, soy milk, coco nut milk powder, vinegar, LSA eggs, coconut oil and Banana pineapple mix. Whisk until smooth.

Make a well in your flour mix bowl and pour the wet mix in. Fold with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add you granola and fold through.

Pour into the loaf tin and place in the oven.

Turn the oven down to 160C and bake for 1 and 10 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. IF it is browning too much place a sheet of foil on top.

Once baked leave in tin for 20 minutes then turn out to completely cool



Coconut tofu spread

300g extra firm silken tofu, well pressed for 3 hours.

30g desiccated coconut

30g skinless unroasted almonds

40g caster sugar

5ml coconut essence



In a food blender, blend coconut and almonds into a smooth paste

After add process tofu, caster sugar and vanilla until it forms a thick spread.

Store in the fridge until use.

20 comments:

  1. Dont... don't go vegan on me please~ And I wouldn't doubt the recipe in the back of a cereal box for one second because I assumed it has been tested by a corporate-army of testers to be put out there and hence... even an idiot-baker like me can do it. I also don't think there's anything to do with price-tag in relation to the success of any recipes... I used good butter... they failed me anyways...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh never mandy! I could never give up pork (aka, your dish I made today! feasting tomorrow).
      Glad to know you also are humble cook as well as a good one! :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting...you know what got me thinking a bit about this recently? I made the chocolate cake on the back of the Hershey's box of cocoa. I'd heard all about it for years but I never went there because I don't use Hershey's cocoa...long story short, the cake was good but I realized the cocoa is a lot better than I realized! I used it for brownies after that and that natural cocoa made for great flavor and I think even better than my much more expensive tin of Pernogotti. I guess the lesson is you need to judge by trying and the important thing is eat what you like and good is good no matter the price tag... : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is so interesting! I have never got my hands on Hershey brand cocoa but I am glad it turn out better than that expensive stuff. Really any time we can save money and make desserts still taste delicious is bonus right?
      Thanks for your opinion Monica!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the linkback to my recipe and glad you enjoyed it as a jumping off place. Your bread looks great and I love the infusion of grilled/broiled pineapple. I bet your house smelled so wonderful while this was baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Averie. Your story about being vegan really inspired me. I realised that my some members of my family can not longer have meat and animal products due to health issues, so I have been on the net looking for things.
      Your recipes are so well written and clearly explained; I am sure I can get better at vegan baking. While I will never go vegan myself; it never hurts to have more deserts to eat ;)

      Delete
  4. Just saw this on pintrest and had to check it out! So gorgeous, and well, I must make it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley!, you are such a great support for pinning

      Delete
  5. I wish I was eating this now. Your pictures are all sooooo pretty Belinda!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure you can make one just like it Todd, You have such great skill in the kitchen.
      Thank you for the photography feed back, it is nice to know my limited art fair is enough.

      Delete
  6. I think classifying ingredients depending on their brand can be stereotypical sometimes. For me, I usually use what is the cheapest there is and work my way to make it "eatable". Vegan flour however, are usually expensive like the almond flour, because some of them are organic so I buy it. If ever they will come up with almond flour which brandless and cheap, I will choose that in a whim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on some ingredients you can not skip the best, I think bread flour is one of those things due to the GM in the system. Yes almond meal, sugar and even some brands of pre made food are better from the cheaper brand.
      I am glad I am not just too frugal too pay for stuff!

      Delete
  7. I just have one thing to say: Toll House Cookies. I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, very good reason Laurel! I have heard about these cookies but I STILL have not baked them yet. Can you give me some hints?
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. I wondered if you had them in Australia. They're on the back of the Nestle chocolate chip package and it is the most beloved chocolate chip cookie in America. No kidding. Let me find a link for you. http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18476/Original-NESTL%C3%89-TOLL-HOUSE-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/detail.aspx and obviously, just use whatever chocolate chips you have.
      I've used bread recipes from flour companies too. Seriously who would put a crap recipe on a product and expect resale. Anyway, happy cooking.

      Delete
    3. Really! I have got to try next time. thanks for the link

      Delete
  8. Averie is the peanut butter queen! What a delicious pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is! and a great one at that. She is so helpful and I am half way across the world.
      Thank you for your lovely comment laura

      Delete
  9. Your photos are stunning and I'd love a big hunk of this for breakfast everyday!! Thanks for linking up to What's Cookin' Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Karly! I love the links this week, so many sweets and pumpkin ideas

      Delete