Pages

Selective everything/-/ Maple pecan cupcakes with tiny buttermilk pancakes.






Do you follow recipes in the kitchen? Are you one of those high tech savvy people, who are able to follow the recipe ipad app at the same time as cooking it? Or do you struggle to even read a recipe without putting in your own selective thoughts and missing one or two things?





I know when I read recipes I have to read them at least three times. Yes three. One time for the ingredients, one time for the recipe and one time for the recipe again; but this time without my brain assuming the steps. You have heard of selective hearing right? Well I think I have selective senses, I have always missed things that other can catch on the first go.



Maybe it is just my impatience and that I often day dream but it does mean I have to ask people to repeat things. This is particularly annoying when I am following recipes for cakes and cupcakes. I am anal about the amounts; they have to be on the dot. This means using a scale but for a lot of recipes people use cups and liquid measure cups. I tell you if I had a dollar for number of times I have done this wrong. It also does not help that the best recipes need to be converted to US metrics to Australian metrics. Oh the perils of living in Australia.



I think cupcakes are especially important to follow the recipe to the mark because with such small delicate cakes, ANYTHING can make it go wrong. The too hot oven, under or over whipped creaming of sugar and butter, too much or not enough flour; the list is endless. Thankfully when I was developing this one I was using the baker’s ratio in order to get the amounts as close to right as possible. Also I found you cannot just replace syrup for sugar in a damn cake ( many, many fails attempts to learn this). I never thought about counting that syrup is liquid rather than solid…. Yep selective senses strike again.



For a dessert/sweet blog, I have yet to post a cupcake recipe. Well long time coming but I am no longer a cupcake less dessert blog now! This cupcake is inspired by the most important meal of the day breakfast!

There is place here in Sydney which is infamous for their pancake selection. I think what makes them special is the fact they are not the thin, English style pancakes but the big, fluffy thick ones you see the USA. I have never been a fan of pancakes until I went there and tired theirs. Maybe because growing up I had pancakes out of the shaker bottle and assumed all pancakes were like that. The bottle ones are especially nasty when you do not shake it well, egh…






Wonderfully fragranced cupcakes with a fluffy interior and topped off with a pecan flavour butter cream. The smokiness of the pecan extract is the highlight of this cupcake for me but then again I have always had a weakness for nuts. This buttermilk pancake recipe is a scaled down version of those big thick ones. I love butter milk in pancakes, not only because their slightly sour tang but it lets the bicarbonate of soda work its magic over time! This means very fluffy pancakes because the bicarb is still active. Look a cupcake you can eat for breakfast! No need to feel guilty(FYI, you should NEVER feel guilty about eating anything even chocolate for breakfast).



I know this a bit of self ingulent post but Would you mind checking out this page for the GOOD TASTE Cutest cupcake competition? I have entered this one in to the running and would love for one or two of you to vote for me. It is under “pancake maple cupcake”. Thank you if you take time for your busy lives to help me in my pursuit of cute cupcake cuteness.



Maple cupcakes with Pecan butter cream and butter milk pancakes.



Make 12

195g plain flour

140g raw caster sugar (normal white is fine too)

6g baking powder

4g bi carb

125g butter

3 egg yolks

1 tsp almond extract

90ml milk

100ml pure maple syrup



Preheat oven to 185c. Line your cupcake tin with 12 wrappers

In large bowl cream your butter and sugar for 5 minutes. It should be light yellow, fluffy and sugar grain free.

On medium speed, add your egg yolks one at a time beating well in between each addition.

Add your extract. Beat well once again.

In jug mix your maple syrup and milk. Shift your plain flour, bicarb, and baking powder in a another bowl.

Fold 1/3 of the flour mix to butter. After fold 1/3 of the milk into the batter. Repeat the folding process until all mixes are folded together.

Scoop your batter into the cupcake cases.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until a wooden tooth pick comes out clean.

Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool.



Pecan butter cream

Barely adapted From the Taste.com website



150g butter, soften

500g icing sugar

2tsp pecan extract

50ml buttermilk



Cream you butter in large bowl till very fluffy and almost white. Add your extract.

On a slow speed beat one half of the sugar in to the butter. Add your butter milk. Beat again.

Add the last bit of sugar and beat until fluffy and all ingredients are combined.



Buttermilk pancakes



100g plain flour

150g self rising flour

2g bicarb soda

4g baking powder

2g salt

30g sugar

2 eggs

150ml butter milk

30ml rice bran oil.



In large bowl shift you flour, salt, bicarb and baking powder.

In jug whisk the eggs, butter milk, oil and sugar.

Pour your we mix into the dry mix and fold until just combined.

Heat a fry pan on medium. Add your choice of oil or butter. Then wipe around to get rid of excess.

Using teaspoons drop batter into the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. You know when to turn when it shows bubbles on the surface. Repeat until batter is finished.



Assembly.

Take one cupcake and pipe your butter cream to form a base.

Next stick together three pancakes with extra butter cream and place on to of this base.

Before serving add a piece of yellow chew candy to look like butter and drizzle with more maple syrup.

Linking to the group on Whats cooking wednesday for Bunsinmyoven

49 comments:

  1. This looks so cute, it's awfully creative of you! And if you didnt mention about the yellow chew candy, I would've thought they were perfect unmeltable little chunks of butter there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank Irene. i love breakfast food, so why not combine the two! i used yellow taffy for the fake butter here.

      Delete
  2. These are fabulous! I've never seen pancake cupcakes before, I love that you came up with such an original idea. I did try to vote for your cupcakes, but as the only person in the world without facebook it wouldn't let me vote, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you rosie for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. These cupcakes are adorable! They would be such a treat for breakfast or dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Laura thanks for visiting. you can breakfast themed party with these

      Delete
  4. Everything about this is PERFECT. Honestly. Looks so good! I think it is a perfectly acceptable breakfast food. Ahem. Good work, man oh man! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much for you thoughtful commemnt, I hope you try them too

      Delete
  5. We are all selective, most times without realizing it, and when it comes to recipes, it´s not good, especially baking ones. These are beyond adorable! Though finding pecan (or walnut) extract will certainly prove challenging in this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula- I am glad I am not the only one. I have left out some of the most obvious ingredients. Thank you they are very easy to make

      Delete
  6. ive been following ur blogposts for a while now cos all ur bakes sound so delish (esp the blueberry loaf bread!). haha sometimes when i bake, i tend to misread steps and realise it only till AFT i had put the item into the oven (which i then have to cross fingers and hope nth goes too wrong). these pancake cupcakes look totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle. I thrilled to hear from someone who fancies a good loaf of sweet bread. I am a fan of your blog too, I am inspired by your pictures. My biggest boo boo has to leaving the sugar out of a muffin recipe >_<. Thank you for commenting

      Delete
  7. Oh my! these are freaking amazing!! I wonder where i could get pecan extract from in the UK so i can make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you missy. I ine buy off the Internet (amazon) or A small shop here in Sydney shocks products like this. I hope you can give them try this week.

      Delete
  8. Hello!
    I just found your blog by accident on Pinterest, this AMAZING cupcake photo came up on my feed and I thought I had died and gone to heaven, pancakes on cupcakes!
    Just wanted to let you know your blog is lovely, you've got a new follower here! (Also, hi from NZ!)
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friends from across the sea! I am glad you found my blog. This is such a no brainier idea but is supper effective.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photos! :)

    Pancakes and cupcakes aren't a typical combination (except that each word has "cake" in it!) but these look tasty!

    toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were such a hit! But they are too easy. Strange but oh so good.

      Delete
  10. that's quite the combination! wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crista, they are flavour bomb.

      Delete
  11. THESE ARE GOING TO BE SO YUMMY I CAN TELL. I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY EM THANKS HUN. PETER

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are the cutest little cakes/pancakes! what a great idea! love your blog and very happy to follow you!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Mary, I always love new followers!

      Delete
  13. These are EPIC! What an amazing combination! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are just too cute; what more can I say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks barb
      As you can see they are very very easy

      Delete
  15. Belinda, you are so creative and I love these cupcakes with the buttermilk pancakes! These are so adorable. Always fun to see your posts, not to mention the photography is supeb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You once again flatter me more than I deserve! thank you nami

      Delete
  16. Wow, I have GOT to make this sometime! This looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so freaking cute it's almost sickening.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just too cute for words!! How clever! I think its fabulous to have a dessert breakfast especially on the weekends when you just want to relax and indulge...a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like a terrific idea Pecan & Maple are both interesting flavors - combining sounds delicious. The cupcakes by themselves could be outstanding even without the addition of pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Woodrow. The pancakes make it that extra bit special!

      I am sure you friends would appreciate the effort if you did the topping too ^_^

      Delete
  20. wow.. these cupcakes would fill that annoying gap between dessert and breakfast! I cant wait to try them...
    What is the sydney pancake institution you mentioned at the beginning I i'd love to know as a fellow Sydneysider)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have a few faves but the one that inspired this one was the The Royal in Darlinghurst. Serious the best butter milk pancakes ANYWHERE.

      Come to think of it it would make the best "dessertfast" too. Thanks for the comment and Idea fellow Sydney dweller!

      Delete
  21. OH MY GOSH!!! PANCAKES ON TOP OF CUPCAKES?!?!?!?!

    I'M IN LOVE!!! These are amazing and your photos are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika, it is wonderful hear you find them so cute.
      I am blushing at your compliments.

      Delete
  22. Hey, your cupcakes look adorable :)
    But I'm a little confused by the pancake recipe. How much flour do I have to use and which? Here in Germany we don't know 'self rising flour' (sorry for this^^).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey julia!
      Each cup (150g) add 2 tsp baking powder.

      Delete
  23. I have to re-read a lot when I follow recipes to cook. I am nervous and I am also not confident so I keep reading the same sentences to make sure I'm doing right... So step by step pictures are really important for me so I kind of scan to see if I'm doing the right step. :D Maybe that's one of the reason why I don't bake much. I'm just very nervous and not comfortable (relaxing? That's not me when I bake!)... Anyway, your cupcakes are SO cute. I feel like pancakes are wonderful bonus!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your step by step pictures! They make it so easy and with a great Japanese Blog like yours. If I did a step by step it take the whole page!

      Delete
  24. Hi! These look so amazing. Do you by chance have a place on your blog where its converted into US metrics?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is this posted with US measurements.

    ReplyDelete