Pages

Behind the baker /-/ Salted Quadruple Chocolate Chip Cookies



I think it may be time to introduce a bit of background to the girl behind the moon blush baker. I have refrained from doing this mainly because I am shy person but I guess after blogging for over 6 months; you guy deserve to know how I begun baking.



While do make out that my life that my life has always circled around food if you talked to me a few years ago I was very different person. I would tell you that you are dreaming if you ever said I would consider baking to be my hobby let alone start a food blog for fun.

 


This is something you be very surprised to hear but a few years ago I hated food. Yes you read it correctly I HATED FOOD, I HATED DESSERTS and most of all I HATED COOKING. Making meals was one of those things I did because my parents were both very busy and I was at home to help them.

Also being a young teenage girl I admit I felt pressure to become skinny; I am actually quite ashamed that I fell under this influence but I guess I cannot change history. I got in to running, I was running maybe an hour to hour and half 6 days a week including strength training. Now you would think this is pretty normal but compared to what I was eating it paled in comparison.



My breakfast was black coffee slices of burnt toast with a slice of plastic cheese (you know the ones that come in the single slices). No pan cakes or waffles in my house.



Lunch, if I got it that is, was a water, coke, or coffee. I may have packet of roughly chopped left over veg or crackers but I avoided lunch like the plague.



Dinner once again while it may be my main meal of the day was watered down soups and whatever I picked off the plates at home. A majority of the time I spent it out of the house with my boyfriend at the time and going out to late night parties with my friends. So my life summed up in a few words was party, study, run and sleep.



The eventual result of this was I became very ill, for a significant amount of time too. I will not go to the nitty gritty details but it did result in me having to cut my hair short (I used to have long hair all the way to my bottom at one point) and changing my life completely.

Now you are wondering how this relates to food. Well one of the cooks, the only cook, who inspired me to get into baking, was Nigella Lawson. Not only did her writing captivate me but it also made me discover that I did like to cook. Sometimes I wish I could tell her how much her writing has changed my perspective of food, and saved me during a time when I was very low.




This recipe was one of the first things I cooked after getting her book, Nigella express. It was a recipe for very humble triple chocolate cookies. While they may look like an ordinary chocolate cookie, the amount of chocolate packed into these little bad boys turned me into a chocolate addict. Of course after a few years of learning and changing the recipe I have come up with a cookie that is dark, soft set and very chewy. No I do not mean soft set as in under baked; soft set in the middle but cooked and crisp on the outside. I did use mini baking chips here, so for all you food snobs; up yours! Nothing wrong with store bought chocolate chips.



While I do not proclaim that these are best cookies, they certainly are for me. Not only because they taste good but they remind me of how far I have come since my first bake.



Have you been inspired by a cook or someone in your life to discover cooking? Or where you late bloomer like me? I would love you know your baking story!




Salted Quadruple Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes 25 ish 6cm diameter cookies.


200g dark chocolate, finely chopped

125g butter

50g dutched cocoa, shifted

3g fine salt

150g brown sugar

1 scraped vanilla pod

2 egg yolks, cold

1tbsp cream, cold

170g plain flour

30g corn flour

2tsp baking soda 


1/2tsp baking powder

300g mini chocolate chips (use milk and dark here in whatever ratio you want)



200g dark chocolate, melted

Flaky sea salt



DAY BEFORE

In a small sauce pan melt butter, chocolate and cocoa together.

Once melted transfer to fridge and allow to hard over night.



ON BAKING DAY

Preheat oven 180C, Line two trays with baking paper

In a large bowl cream the chocolate butter mix from the day before and sugar, till very fluffy and light brown about 7 minutes on kitchen aid.

Add vanilla, salt, egg yolks and cream. Then beat till fluffy

Mix in your flour, baking powder, baking soda and corn flour. You do not need to be gentle or anything. Just keep mixing it combined.

Add your choice of mini chips and mix in again. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for half hour.

Using teaspoon shape dough into ball and place on tray. Allow room for spreading about 3cm. Bake for 9-12 minutes then remove from oven. Allow them to continue to cook and cool on tray.

Once cool Melt down 200g dark chocolate. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes then drizzle over chocolate. Allow to set before serving.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Dina! If you Like these I have many other chewy cookie recipes. While I may not be expert they turned out pretty good.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous cookies! I didn't grow up baking but have come to find it quite therapeutic as an adult. Now I can't imagine doing anything else. So glad to hear that you have recovered - I think all of us have had a complicated relationship with food at one point or another, but most would not be brave enough to admit it. I admire your transparency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I believe if you give a little history people can relate to you more. Also this is such an issue for young girls and women these days. If I can make others feel not so alone, I be happy to do it.
      Thank you for you comment Laura, it is nice to hear someone's story too.

      Delete
  3. I love the plastic cheese - definitely grew up on those too! And these cookies are heavenly! I'm sure they'd be a huge hit at our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chung, while I still love plastic cheese it is more than just on burnt toast ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing all the personal info about your past and so glad you're doing better now! Cookies to the rescue :) I love Nigella's style and just her ease and way she has...I wish I could be so carefree in the kitchen and just her whole style exudes it. Love how easy-breezy she makes things seem! And your cookies are beauties. I made a quintuple choc cookie about a year ago, very loosely adapted from the Cook's Illustrated recipe but the pics where not my best and the recipe never took off. I should remake them :) Pinned your cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is great cook, isnt she?
      I am sure you can re take those picture again, your skills as a photographer are out of this world!
      Thank for pinning Averie and congrats on the foodiecrush feature :)

      Delete
  5. Anything salted has my vote and the fact it is quadruple chocolate is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rochelle, sometimes you need to overload on chocolate!

      Delete
  6. I cannot believe you hated cooking! You give me hope that my basic baking skills will improve one day if I work hard... :D These cookies look phenomenal. Perfect for chocolate lovers like myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look oh so chocolatey and good! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie is always wonderful to here I am doing an ok job at my photos!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your story. I definitely have not had the healthiest relationship with food all the time either but in this day and age, that seems to be the norm, especially as a female. I've never hated cooking though, it has always been a huge part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must be so lucky! I would give anything to have my younger years filled with warm memories of the kitchen. Thank you for commenting Mallory

      Delete
  9. I really appreciate this - been looking for this combo for a LONG time and these are going to be great!! May I ask how much baking powder it calls for? I couldn't find that in the list... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH!! i am very sorry, I must of missed it!
      It is quater the amount of baking powder to baking soda so 1/2 tsp

      Delete