Pages

Waffling part 2 /-/Pumpkin donut French waffle



I have waited all week before I post this recipe! Sorry but it is necessary process if you going to do French toast right.

I do not often get to make things like this namely because I am not patient enough to wait for breakfast, so toast and cereals are instant hits for my ravenous state. However I think I deserved a treat. My life right now is filled with University finals and exams; so Forgive me if this post is unusually short for me. However!!! There are still a fair number of pictures, so I still care about you guys.



I am taking inspiration from two of the recipes I first ever learn how to cook; French toast and custard. Now you might think these two things are completely unrelated be sides the fact they are both delicious. However have you ever tried to soak you bread for French toast in a very thin custard? Seriously, cook your pre-soaking milk and egg mix because the texture is amazing. Add to this the yeasty, malted goodness of these brown butter waffles; and you have one of the greatest moments in breakfast dining. I know people seem to dislike the egg taste of French toast but cooking a custard it removes a lot of this after taste.



While I may not be in America, pumpkin seems to be very cheap at the stores down under. This French toast is coated in a thin pumpkin custard, mixed with cinnamon and fried in generous amount of butter (duh!). After this is the moment you can be as indulgent as you like. Nigella Lawson has a recipe for French toast which she calls her donut French toast, with a title like that how could I resist taking inspiration from it? She coats her toast afterwards in sugar instead of sweetening the batter mix. Once again she is true to her word, these really do taste like donuts! Sweet, fluffy and very crunchy.

So here we go



Soak your waffles



Then coat in the sugar

Now EAT!!!

EATS! EATT!



Me. sugar covered, sticky fingered and gloriously satisfied. This pumpkin donut French waffle may be the mutt in the recipe world but is well worth the divination.



Pumpkin donut French waffle
Inspired by Nigella Lawson for the sugar concept 
Makes 2 seves 

3-4 full sides brown butter waffles, stale

Custard

325g pumpkin puree

450ml milk

100ml cream

1 egg

1tsp vanilla extract

1tsp cinnamon

Dipping sugar

300g caster sugar

5g fine sea salt



To make your custard;

Bring milk and cream to the boil in a heavy based sauce pan, add your pumpkin puree. Whisk in a leave to steep for 20 minutes.

Crack your egg into a jug and whisk in cinnamon and vanilla.

Strain the milk mix into a jug.

Place the milk mixture back on the heat in the same pan. On medium heat stir until it is thicken. Set aside to cool



To make the toast

In a shallow, wide dish pour your custard in. Place your waffles in this mix. Allow to soak for 10 minutes then turn and soak for further 5 minutes.

Pre heat a teaspoon of butter in a fry pan on low-medium heat. Once the butter has melted and foamed, add the toast. Turn the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes on each side.

Once cooked remove the toast and place it in the sugar/ salt mix. Dust it around generously then serve right away.

15 comments:

  1. These look positively amazing! Waffle french toast--the texture just looks incredible. Plus, it includes pumpkin, which pretty much takes these over the top. Love it. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind! I might have been avoiding pumpkin but I am so ready now to embrace the full season.
      I hope you try it soon Laura

      Delete
  2. I don't like to wait for breakfast either but I'd wait for these waffles! Sheer genious creation. These look awesome and I find myself craving them even though I'd never heard of such a thing until 2 minutes ago. Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! You deserve to make these at least once in your life

      Delete
  3. I love French toast, what an incredible breakfast idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not take all the credit, Nigella is a genius in the kitchen

      Delete
  4. This is like the ultimate breakfast! I need to try this recipe out asap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do Ashley it is well worth the wait!

      Delete
  5. The texture on these is PERFECT. I can tell by the detail on the second photo, they're the ideal blend of density, airy pockets, rich, soaked custard. I've never used a custard to make French toast, but it sounds like what's been missing from my life... off to the kitchen..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, simply wow at your description!
      Thank you cheryl

      Delete
  6. Oh. My. Word. I can't even handle what you did to those waffles. BRILLIANT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please Karly try them for yourself one day! I bet your kids and family would love it as much I did
      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  7. What a creative recipe, looks incredible! I think my kids would love it. Pinned to try soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow, this is like my every dream come true! And I am definitely going to need to get a waffle maker now--especially with the idea of custard-soaked-goodness on the horizon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The custard is far better that retaining that Donut flavour than normal uncooked milk and egg. I hope you like when when you try them Amy!

      Delete