Pages

It’s not looking a lot like Christmas /-/ Quinoa peanut butter cup cookie slice



Walking around my house you would think we have forgotten about Christmas. No kind of whimsical ornaments with sparkles and glitter. No tree top star or angel; in fact not even a Christmas tree! However we do have a pile of pretty Christmas wrapped presents in a corner of our house (because all know that’s what REALLY people like about Christmas)


Blasphemy you say? What kind of people are we from down under?


The intense heat must be sucking the Christmas cheer out of the Aussies.

No it is not that. Simply, we do not need it to know it is Christmas.



You might be thinking about why we adopted this approach. No it is not some black lash at the selling/buying of Christmas cheer or the uncontested promotion of Christmas as the ONLY holiday going on right now( shout out to my Hanukkah and Kwanzaa party people!)

Other things remind us that Christmas is here. Also as terrible as this sounds, the process of taking down Christmas decorations ranks up there with one of the world worst jobs.



Here are thing that make my Christmas


Intense sticky kitchen environment; The weather does a number on my kitchen making it like sauna (I think I have spoken about that before too)

The overflow of gifts from my mother’s work mates; she is very loved by her work place ( why wouldn’t she; she brings them left over cake and desserts!)

The winding down of family life; during the year my family do not have time for “family time”, so Christmas means we able to have a meal as a WHOLE family not just one or two of us.

Sleeping; Oh boy the amount of naps have sky rocket recently (combo of heat and the scheduling of cake orders I have)

My kitchen is filled with the warming scent of bread baking (yes I am taking advantage of the heat for a quick rise of bread)



Lastly and I think the most important; I get to watch Christmas cooking specials without looking crazy! Yep, All the famous chefs that have a Christmas video; I have probably seen it.

I really do not have any traditions or fare to my Christmas it is simply about play, resting and cake. I think that is loveliness of living in Australia is that there is no one Christmas everyone does anything they want; Lasagne and dim sum at Christmas? Why not? As long as it taste good.

Have you got traditional rocking this year? Or gone minimal. I would love to hear what other people do.


Now this slice is my attempt to work whole grains and natural sugar in my baking. While the addition of Tim tams and Peanut butter cups do cancel out of efforts; they can be easily sub with nuts or dried fruit.

I do not like icing on sliced cakes when it is hot. Speaking of which; Sydney is reaching the 30C; so icing and heat never mix. However I still wanted to look a bit pretty so I push some chopped PB cups, and Crushed Tim tams in the top: The base of the cake is inspired and adapted from this snack cake I found on My darling Thyme; her version is very bright and summery.





I think Christmas deserves a little more indulgence; don’t you? I changed the texture of my slice to be more like snack cake rather than a bar by grounding down 2/3rds of the quinoa flakes and using corn flours instead of brown rice flour. Yes I have left out the raw sugar but I really do not think you need it when you have 200g of Peanut butter cups and a packet of time tams in this slice.

The honey acts a wonderful complement to the peanut butter and chocolate tone. One you bite in to slice, you are hit with of the malted good ness of the time tams then it gives way to a soft and tender crumb studded with melting pockets of Peanut butter She writes about the subs on the blog, so go look her slice (her photos are stunning too!)

Happy whatever you do peeps!

 
Quinoa peanut butter cup cookie slice
Adapted from My darling thyme

Makes 16

70g quinoa flakes

260g quinoa flour (ground flakes)

70g fine corn flour

1 packet of tims tam crushed, divided (use gluten free choc biscuits if needed; You can get ones like Tim Tams from This company; Macro foods double choc biscuits)


10g ground cinnamon

10g gluten-free baking powder

a good pinch fine sea salt

80ml rice bran oil

150ml thick dark honey (almost like treacle dark)

100ml soy milk


2 large free-range eggs

200g chopped up Peanut butter cups.(Ditto to the chocolates in this slice)

Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line a 28 x 18cm slice tin with grease proof with 2 cm extension on each side.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well to combine.

Combined oil, thick honey, soy milk and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted together. Set aside to cool.

Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Whisk in eggs and mix well. Fold through 2/3 soft the crushed Tim tams and half of peanut butter cups.

Spread in you prepared tin. Sprinkle remains of the Tim tam and PB cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden around the edges and firm to the touch in the centre. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool before slicing.

Will store airtight for 2-3 days, or in the fridge for longer.

11 comments:

  1. These look soo good I'm craving tim tams and cake and peanut butter all at the same time from those photos! What a great Christmas recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lillian! I hope you try these bars for Breakfast!

      Nothing like chocolate in the morning I say

      Delete
  2. 1. on Foodgawker, I'm not sure if you get to write what we see about the photo, but it says "naturally sweetened with tim tams"... so it's not quite naturally sweetened, lol. and 2. soy milk: look into switching to another nondairy milk, soy is so so bad for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point however the sugar is reduced dramatically from normal cookies slices. I guess i should of have written no additional sweetener besides...

      Also I am not vegan nor do I often drink soy milk; I drink normal cows milk. i se nothing wrong with either of these milks. I do not appreciate you attacking soy milk when you have no solid evidence.

      Alot of people, soy drinkers and not read, this blog. There is nothing wrong if food is naturally grown and sustained

      Delete
    2. Thank however for your comment. I will do better to improve my blog and recipes.I guess I am not that great at descriptions.

      Delete
  3. I love the crushed Tim Tams on top, what a scrumptious looking slice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You comment are so humbling Laura! I really hope you try these.

      too easy and impressive

      Delete
  4. That looks so delicious!
    I love peanut butter on anything, but never thought to use quinoa!

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? quinoa is my fave grain to use in baking. The nutty flavor is lot sweeter than wholemeal; so great for desserts.

      Delete
  5. These look insane! I have some Indian biscuits which are similar to the ones you mentioned that I think would work great in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What biscuit is it?

      I would love the recipe! Thanks Shikha

      Delete