Pages

Retail rumble /-/ Twisted roasted pepper and cheese scone



Maybe I think too much about things (hey, you got to do something when you stay up as late as me) but every year I have a question about end of year sales. To be honest do we need end of year sales anymore?


I am from Australia so our big stock take sales have not yet begun but the reports in the USA on the black Friday sales have me scared. I never knew a fire could break out in a Wal-mart.


Even in a world where shopping can be accessed anywhere and at any time, the shopping complexes are as crowded as ever, as busy as ever and brings out the worst characteristics of each bargain hunting shopper. Is the shopping center or complex to blame for the rise of in store fires and fights over tea towels? Or does something in the solar system change around Christmas our desires fuels us to bargain hunt like our lives depend on it.




I have always had a dislike of shopping centers, let alone ones crowded with people. As a child I would often get lost in the shopping center which sparks memories of panic, distress and leave me crying my eyes out only to find out that my parents where only 10 meters away in a different department.

Yes, even as a child I panicked about everything and anything. Does this make me bias on this topic? Maybe but I am sure even those of you who love shopping have questions about the change in behavior at the end of the year.



However I am no misery guts. I love shopping. Me and the internet shopping have a good relationship. Sure 15 years ago when Shopping centres use to only open 6 days a week and we had no access to internet (remember AOL? And dial up?); I could see the need to go to this end of year sales. It was a time when you could get the electronics you desired, stock up on half priced Christmas goodies and fashion shop your heart out. My family even had a yearly tradition where we would line up on boxing day to go to city just to shop. Ah good times in the mist of all that fear.


Do you think shopping centres are still relevant? Are you are shopping junkie too? Tell me about it!




Craving rustic delights I made this Twisted roasted pepper and cheese scone. I love scone and have failed to make them more often in favor of cookies this season. However I feel I need to remind us that baking can be incredibility stress relieving during a time when the kitchen is hot housing tempers (MOSTLY MINE). All that turkey, cookie and cake time for the Christmas day can take its toll on a cook. When I am after some therapy baking I make scones.


 Not only are they quick but provide a buttery base for sweet or savoury fillings. This time I was craving a savory treat, remembering the delicious sweet tones my roasted pepper corn bread, I place those same flavors in cheesy scone twist. Scone loafs are so much better when you want chunky fillings. The base is a nutty and sweet thanks to the roasted peppers and whole wheat flour however it would not be scone without cheese.





Yes, 400 grams of cheese, Approx. Yes that is correct.

Hey, I might not know savory food but I know I like cheese. Whether you are stress relieving baking or need help rising your saturated fat levels, this scone can for fill that wish.
x





Twisted roasted pepper and cheese scone
Adapted from Lemon Pi
Makes 1 large loaf


400g whole meal flour
2g salt
29g baking powder
50g cold unsalted butter in cubes
50g cream cheese, cold in cubes
100g edam cheese, grated
50g feta, in small cubes
3 red peppers, roasted and diced
2 eggs
250ml full fat milk
1 egg wash
120g grated cheddar
80g grated parmesan cheese


Pre heat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper
In a large bowl mix with a whisk your flour, baking powder and salt. Rub in the butter and cream cheese cubes until you get a crumbly moist texture. Stir in your bits of red pepper
Add the milk and fold in to form your dough. Turn out on to a well-floured surface, Using your hand pat it out to a rectangle 30cm X 40 cm X 1.5cm. Lightly oil the surface and sprinkle your Edam cheese, and feta cubes.
Roll up the dough length ways to form a log. Using a sharp knife cut down this log carefully to hold the two sides to not let all the fill fall out
Push together the ends of these two lengths of dough. Twist the lengths over on top of each other while rolling in to wreath shape. Push the other ends again to seal the wreath.
Brush a light coating of egg on the outside. Sprinkle your remaining cheese on top
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then cover with a foil tent and continue to bake for a further 20 minutes.

10 comments:

  1. Cheesey, Bready, Goodness... yum, this looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, the cheese is what makes it so good :)

      Delete
  2. I love a savory scone or bread. This looks so tasty with the golden cheese topping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds brilliant but I do wish you'd shot the cutting/twisting stage because the directions aren't clicking in my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to this link for step by step pictures. Sorry my description is not clear but it is very easy.
      http://www.justlovecookin.com/2011/11/estonian-kringel.html

      Delete
  4. Dear Belinda,

    I'm compiling a list of simple sweet goodies for Christmas on my blog (www.foodomania.com). I would love to include 2-3 recipes from your blog. I am writing to ask if I could link up some recipes from your site and if yes, whether I could use 1 image from the post. I would not posting the recipe as such. I would essentially be crediting your work by linking up the image as well as the recipe name back to your site (and relevant post).

    Please let me know at the earliest. :) I would totally understand if you don't want that as well.

    Thank You.

    {Sorry, couldn't find your email / contact page! :-) }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I be glad to! Contact me on my email address rice_paper_dolls@hotmaill.com. I also have twitter account.

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely not a last minute holiday shopping junkie; I hate being in lines with people and trying to find parking in the parking lots. Also I love this recipe! The scone looks delicious and I know I love cheese. I'm sure my friend will love this recipe as well since she loves cheese too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh parking!!! I am the worst!

      Never too much cheese during the holidays I say! Thanks Molly, sorry about responding late hope you had a good Christmas!

      Delete