Pages

Chip Shop musing, inspiration to Pig shaped mini burger buns.





I am sure everyone has once in their life past or visited the local Fish and chip store or barque chicken cafe as a solution to hunger when you are too tired to cook anything (yes, even the people who like cooking need a break sometimes). I will admit, on the rare occasion I am in that mood, especially now my mum is visiting relatives for the holidays. Most days I am cooking for two(me and my dad), so it seems reasonable that I might want to go get some else to cook once in a while. So as a treat I passed the local Fish and chip shop, a favourite here in a Australia and noticed something.



The sign mascot at the local fish and chip store displayed a happy fish in a chef’s hat and apron flipping in a pan what looks like a smaller fish. Does that seem a bit ironic or at least unsettling that the fish is taking joy in preparing its own kind? Of course, I could be influence by the political correctness taught in society, but I am sure someone out there has noticed this with eateries such as this. Whether it is the chicken roasting a chicken or Pig frying up a burger, the premise is the same.
This is an example that inspiration can hit you anywhere, which is why this post is devoted to these mini burger buns that are shaped as pigs. A deep, golden crust encloses a firm but tender white crumb, perfect for soaking up whatever sauce you choose. We had these with left over duck and spring onions, but ham and some chutney or pickle would be great too. When sliced in half the pig looks like it is eating the meat it is stuffed with, cute and slightly unnerving burgers.






Mini Burger buns


Makes 25x 30g mini buns

Pre dough


300g bread flour

40g egg whites

20g sugar

190g Full fat milk

6g yeast

Main dough
Pre dough mixture (after rising)

30g egg white

2g yeast

5g salt

30g flour

30g butter

Mix everything together for the pre dough until till forms a firm ball. Leave to rest and double it should have lots of yeast action with lots of holes in the dough)

Combine the following ingredients but butter in a large bowl in order to form a dough.

Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic.

Slowly add the butter in two additions, knead until fully absorbed. The bread should be smooth, shinny and not sticky. This took me, by hand, about 30 minutes.

Leave to rise for one hour. Prepare two baking trays.

Punch down the dough and shape into 30g balls. Reserve some bread to make ears and nose on the buns.

To make the face take to small balls of dough and pitch them into the main dough ball. Shape with your index figure and thumb, to make the small ball look like an ear.

Do the same with the nose, but round it to a nose shape and poke two holes in the small ball. Repeat. NOTE: cover buns with a damp cloth to prevent drying out.

With a small amount of egg brush the place where you will place some eyes. This can be any seed you want, I used sesame (don’t worry if some of them fall off, you can always draw them back on with edible black pen)

Pre heat oven to 180c. Bake buns in for 15-20 minutes.

Remove from tray when done and cool on a wire rack.

Next time you visit one of these places look at the signage, you never know what you will see.


16 comments:

  1. These little buns are so creative and absolutely adorable!! I'm so impressed and now I really want to make them too. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give them a go, they will be great if you made them for a New Years party or kiddy birthday. I am sucker for cute things>_<...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! These are too darling! I just want to gobble them up right now! And that's so funny about the fish frying the fish. I wonder if the designer thought about that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - These are just too cute! What a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @october moon- Thanks, The fish thing is not the only one I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg. These are insanely. adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Alison, I hope you try them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, these are the buns for my Memphis-style pulled pork sliders! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw these cute little guys on Foodgawker or Tastespotting a few days ago and I was so enamored by them I shared your post on my Facebook fan page. So adorable and so creative! You take beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anon- Try roasting pork belly to stuff in the buns with spring onions like baos burgers.
    @jean- thank you for the comment. I am longer time reader of your website,and I hope this recipe can bring others to try shaping bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely pig , i really love pig so much ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to make these! My 4 year old loves anything pig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rita! These buns are too easy and kids always love them because they are small enough for little tummies. I hope your child loves
      the

      Delete
  13. Yep....next rolls I make! Been trying to find fun ways to spice up the kids' lunches. Think I will stuff them with ham and mayo and put those little piggies in the lunch pale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like awesome idea Rae, I am sure your family and friends will love them.

      Delete