Pages

Obsessions over Lemon brioche with white truffle filling



Often the term “obsession” or “obsessed” comes with negative connotations because we always imaged the stereotypes place out by Children’s tales and popular television. While some things are dangerous to be obsessed with, in everyday life I think everyone has one thing, which is constantly on their mind. The first thing they consider when making a decision and the last thing think about before going to bed.



For example, a few years ago my sister’s and I developed a wild obsession with the colour yellow. Yes, the colour yellow. Everything must be chosen in the colour yellow. Kitchen equipment, bath towels, bed sheets; you name it if it comes in the colour yellow that is the one we are going to pick. While this may seem unhealthy, it comes from a place of good will. Before this obsession, my family and I were come out from a rough few years filled with illness and bad luck. Desperate to start a new year on a clean stale, my parents enticed the help of a feng shui master.


Nothing against my parents beliefs but I do not believe in these types of systems, but it is their house; whatever floats your boat. What resulted was the massive clearing of anything remotely red, pink, or maroon from our house; and my sisters and I were forbidden to have anything thing in these colours. I had no problem with this, but to my sister’s this was a kick in the face; they loved pink.




Slowly but surely we have adapted, and now I think I have picked up this obsession too. This year I have received as gifts- an Egg yellow kitchen aid, yellow kettle, yellow toaster, yellow tea towels, yellow bed sheets and spread and a few pieces of yellow colored dining ware. Let say my kitchen gives a new meaning to the word “yellow peril.
Once again inspired by yellow and having bread withdrawals (yes I have an another obsession with bread), I bring to you Lemon brioche with white truffle filling. The richness of the egginess of the bread is contrasted with the tang of lemon zest which off sets some of the sweetness ( not bad). Also this buns are made with sourdough starter, so another layer of flavor is added. The white truffe filling was just a bit of fun and just works. The dense sweetness of the filling is just enough to allow it to be eaten with a black cup of coffee or alone with an addition spread of butter (it is still Christmas).



Lemon Sourdough brochie with white truffle filling


Adapted from this recipe on The fresh loaf

Pre dough

100g AP flour

50g (approx) water

50g ripe storage starter

Mix the flour and starter, adding just enough water to make a firm white dough ball. Proof for 5 hours at room temperature or until well over doubled in volume.

Prepare white truffle filling

White truffle

250g white chocolate, chopped

60g cream

1tbsp of Creme de cacao blanc

Combine white chocolate and cream in double boiler and mix until melted.

Add the liquor and stir until smooth and slightly cool

Cover and fridge until read for use.


Final dough



350g all purpose flou

200g bread flour

50g sugar

10g salt

2 tsp lemon zest

5g instant yeast

200g firm white starter

100g warmish milk

50g butter

3 large eggs + 1 egg yolk



Mix yeast and milk together, wait 10 minutes until foamy.

Mix the yeast milk and other final dough ingredients. Turn out on a well floured surface and knead until smooth, bouncy and you are unable to leave a large imprint on the surface.

Proof for 2 hours or until doubled. Prepare two baking trays with grease proof.

Divide and shape as rounds and stuff with one teaspoon of white truffle mixture.

Place into appropriate baking tins and cover loosely.

Proof until doubled in bulk about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 180c.
Very carefully brush the tops with beaten egg and score lengthwise with a serrated blade.

Bake the brioche for 20 minutes (or until a poked skewer comes out clean). If the top crust gets too brown then cover with foil for the remainder of the baking time.

Allow to cool for at least half an hour.



Happy new year everyone! Hope you had a great one and be prepared with good will to start a new one.

6 comments:

  1. These look so wonderful! I had brioche molds for ages, but all I've used them for so far was ... cupcakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia, I have the real brioche moulds too but I was to lazy to grease and flour them. I made some in a mini cupcake silicon tin too when I ran out of baking trays, they turn out just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there your brioche buns look amazing! I have made brioche before but for some reason it wasn't as soft and sweet as I expected...but then it was the classic recipe and I have never had brioche in France;p I've only ever tried the ones from the shop. I's love try out your recipe to see the difference but unfortunately I don't know what the ripe starter is? is it like a leaving? the flour mix you leave to ferment and bubble up? I hope you'll find a minute to answer love your blog. Marta

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ marta- Thank you for commenting, i am glad you like my blog. The ripe starter is a sourdough one. It is like a leaving but using wild caught yeast. i believe you can make your own follow instruction from this website
    http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2007/07/13/raising-a-starter/

    The flavor of sourdough is not as strong but it does ensure a fluffy soft bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What makes this lemon brioche? There are no lemons in the dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH!! Sorry I forgot to include lemon zest in the bread dough!!!! Thank you for keen eyes! I change it now~

      Delete